Sharing from a Reformer student – Catarina.
Reformer Pilates is a Pilates based workout where you use a Reformer “bed” instead of working out on a mat. Instead of using your body weight, the Reformer is equipped with straps, pulleys and springs with different resistance levels that you adjust according to the exercises and your fitness level.
I clearly remember thinking WOW, this looks a lot bit like a torture bed. I had tried Pilates classes before but felt totally lost on my first Reformer Pilates session.
I stared at the experienced girls, who would flow seamlessly from a wheelbarrow to a floating ice-breaker* while I was busy figuring out how exactly do I hold the bloody straps and avoid looking like a complete idiot. Even though the pace is slow (in fact, because it&;s slow) my muscles were shaking like OMG what has just hit me?!
And then I knew: want to change your body? This is what I need to be doing.
I have now been doing Reformed Pilates classes regularly for 3 years, at least once a week. I absolutely love it and my body feels itchy (and a bit yucky) if I go on for too long without my fix.
These are the 5 reasons why I love Reformer Pilates and why you should try it too:
1. Unique, versatile workout. Your body needs to be taken out of its comfort zone if you want to see change happen. Reformer Pilates does that. You can't replicate it on any other piece of equipment. The range of exercises is endless too so you'll never get bored.
2. Low Impact. It's a workout that strengthens the body in a safe environment, no injuries. Even when I had some minor injury (which I usually do if I&;m running too often), I would keep coming back to the Reformer to work on my recovery. It's that good.
3. Suitable for any age or fitness level. There are 20 year old gym bunnies and amazing 60-year-old ladies doing this. You can adjust the resistance and modify the exercises to fit your needs and goals. Even if I'm having a bad day, feeling specially sore or tired, I'll still go to my class and do what I can. I always feel better for it.
4. Amazing results! You'll feel stronger, leaner, more toned. While it's a full-body workout, results are more visible on your core and lower body. This is an amazing post-pregnancy workout to strengthen the lower back and get that tummy back in shape (mine wasn't looking that fab after baby#3…).
5. Deep body connection. This is why Reformer Pilates got into my head. Feeling stronger is amazing. But Reformer Pilates gave me a chance to re-connect with my body, something I had lost (or maybe never really had). The combination of slow-paced movement, muscle isolation and right resistance allows you to feel your way through the exercises – instead of rushing to finish it. That&;s not something you get from a HIIT class…
Sounds good? Maybe it's time you give it a try, darling!